Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Where I get my stories

Let me start off by explaining, I am a probation officer.  Without getting into to all the schemantics about how the system is broken and how public employees are being unfairly vilified, I will say it is unique opportunity to really see how other people live.  Not only do I get to enter people's homes but I get to look through all of their stuff. The only common demoninator is that the people were convicted of a crime, but it stretches across every race, gender, ethnicity and socioeconomic group.  I have been in some of the finest homes in exclusive areas and some of the most run down public housing complexes.  I have witnessed the best and worst that humanity has to offer.  Some of the most surprising things that I've noted are:
-fewer people sleep with sheets on their bed than you'd think.  I  have always slept with a fitted sheet over my mattress and was surprised to find how many people don't.
-more people than I ever expected allow their dogs to poop inside.  Not on a "wee wee pad" but on the floor.
-there are rogue chunks of artificial hair and used condoms everywhere.  Take a look around the next public parking lot you're in, I'll bet you see some.
-Always keep your eyes open, you never know what you'll see on the road.  Some of the coolest wildlife I've seen in the most unlikely places.
-The grossest place in a teenage boy's room is the space between his bed and the wall.
-A lot of young girls take naked pictures of themselves and give them to people.  It is surprising how many of these photos you find in guy's underwear drawers
-If I can't laugh at it, it'll drive me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment